Sunday, May 16, 2010

"There is one other business where the customer is always wrong and that's the media." By Rush Limbaugh

In order to discuss a topic such as deindividuation, it is necessary to clearly define the term it consists of such as individuality or identity. I can give you many definitions that I found on Internet, but can either of them describe and overwhelm the term correctly? Not really, but just to get an idea, here is what Dictionary.com says:

“The particular character or aggregate of qualities, that distinguishes one person or thing from others; sole and personal nature: a person of marked individuality.”


So, this individuality I’m mentioning in all of my posts is somehow being largely influenced nowadays. Since we are exposed to media more than any generation before us, can we blame the media for stealing our identity and placing us in groups with other people who share just one our interests, for ‘deindividuating’ us? Well, there surely is a connection between society in the past and today, especially since the media became pretty aggressive, but the real influence is actually discussable.


When I was 7, I had to go to bed at 8. I was allowed to watch a cartoon at 7.30 and then go to sleep. When I was 12, I was allowed to be awake until 9, during weekends until 10. What I am trying to say here is that I was somehow protected from being raised by the media. I still had a chance to be a child, to go out and play and talk to my friends about different dancing tricks I learned.




Today, when I take a walk, I rarely see kids playing outside. Even if there are some, boys are talking loudly about a new video game and shooting around with imaginary guns and girls are busy with their cell phones. I feel sad because I can see that the people they were supposed to become are erased from their future. Their individual personality is prevented even before it started developing. Is this an example of a stolen individuality? I would say yes.



Being a teenager is one of the most difficult life periods for both parent and a teenager. Also, it is the time of growing up, becoming an adult and preparing for that period. Teenager is always right, he or she knows everything and doesn’t need anyone’s help. Still, they seek help in teenage magazines.



It is one of the factors that we do not really think about much, but it is very important. Those teenage magazines teach them how to behave in a relationship, what to do when your boyfriend/girlfriend is cheating on you, how to trick you parents, how to cheat at school, how to be famous... So, my point is that a girl or a boy who is in a state of a doubt among certain topic is likely to take advice from one of those magazines although his or her opinion is different.

They are afraid to do what they want so it is always easier to do what is ‘normal’, what everybody else does. Looking at teenage magazine covers, it is shocking how many things in a teenage life they are trying to regulate. Starting with clothes, they define what is good (‘in’), and what is not, which haircut is embarrassing and which one is trendy. Anybody who stands out seem to be old-fashioned and ‘out’. So, behave the way we tell you or don’t have friends. Another example of a stolen individuality? In my opinion – yes.



Since magazines are partly forgotten and left behind, young people today are mostly concerned with internet. That became our social playground. It is a place to communicate, to educate, to play and so on. The question is would we become different people if we did not have Internet to tell us what to do, how to spend out free time or how to spend money? Well, the answer is more than just one. We can say that Internet changed us and that it helped us realize who we are and what we want but at the same time it prevented us from becoming someone else. We became part of the mass, part of the big group of people sharing the same opinion and we are more or less the same. Okay, this would be hasty generalization, but it is still partly true, especially for small places and towns where you don’t have much choice but to listen to media and try to follow what is going on. Otherwise, you will not be accepted, no matter how smart, gifted or talented you are. Stealing individuality? Yes once again.
I could proceed and write another 700 words about this topic, but I believe my point was proven. Still, each story should be observed from different perspectives, so should this one.



Can we really blame media for existing and taking away our uniqueness? We can consider it responsible, but not guilty. Still, we are the ones who should choose. The media is all around us and it is true that it is almost impossible do defend ourselves, but this is the condition that we created. Humans. Nobody else but us. So are we cursed or blessed to live in a world where media plays such an important role? Hm. Both probably.
It is the time of high information accessibility so it needs to have influence on us. Whether it is going to be positive or negative, we should decide, but this exact point is what is influenced the most – our ability to choose.

Yes to media, no to deindividuation.

Bibliography

Media Quotes. "Media Quotes."Famous Quotes and Quotations at BrainyQuote. Brainy Media, n.d. Web. 16 May 2010.
Hamley, Katherine. "Media Use in Identity Construction."Prifysgol Aberystwyth / Aberystwyth University. Aberystwyth University, n.d. Web. 16 May 2010.
Raezler, Colleen . "Some in Media Say ‘No’ to Promoting Hook Ups." Welcome to Culture and Media Institute. Culture and Media Institute, 21 Apr. 2010. Web. 16 May 2010. .

Place, John. "Have You Fallen for these 7 Negative Attitudes Pushed by the Media? ."Purpose, Meaning, Accomplishment, Success, Happiness -- John Place Online . com. N.p., 10 Aug. 2007. Web. 16 May 2010. .

8 comments:

  1. very interesting topic :) I agree that, somehow media is influencing us to become someones we are not and will never be. I would say that deindividuation is a problem for teens who doesn't know who they are or what they want from their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, the mass media profoundly modify our individuality, but I would not throw everything at media and blame them for "CREATING" or "STEALING" our individuality. Beside the powerful influence of media, our individuality is also shaped by our family, friends,education, religion, culture, etc. On one hand, the pressure from society, media, and peers constrain us to become a part of the mass, thus losing part of our identity. On the other hand, the media also allow us to show our uniqueness and talent easily through YouTube, self-published books, blogs, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely Anh, I agree with you, but I only based my blog posts on those negative sides.
    I believe that the greatest influence on us have our parents because they are the ones who create critical opinion within us, they teach us how to observe our environment.
    Thank you both for your comment, I appreciate your opinions :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say that i generally disagree with the argument that media are stereotyping us. Quite the contrary, I believe that everything has become custom. Everything is to be customizable, you can have you individual blog layout, or unique clothing style, or you read a niche market magazine that informs you about your interests. I think you take a bit from everywhere and everything and combine it into your personality. This is what makes you out. While there is more and more people there is a natural urge to be different then the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure, I agree that we get many advantages from the media, but my focus is on this particularly negative side (not on stereotyping) and the way we could be taken away our identity because we are not what we are supposed to be. In one of the posts I mentioned especially small towns and the effect of media on people living there who do not really have much choice but to follow some of the media trends and not to be different because media says what is cool and what is not and in small towns there is not opportunity to be individual but to follow the mass. Once again, I'm not denying the positive side, but emphasizing the negative one just to raise awareness about the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally love the way you write, the way you have written all of your posts because they are very engaging and a person, well at least I could, identify myself in some things that you have written, especially in this post.
    I have to agree with the first statement the one regarding children because it is exactly how I was grown up and share your opinion, children nowadays should really explore their creativity and the world around them and in that way start to form their individuality and persona. Factors like these are often being neglected, and in a way a "stepfordian life' a new life where we are grown to be exactly the same is born. It is because of this maybe banal facts like interacting with your peers, various conflicts and exploring new stuff around you that you get to form your individuality. In the early-formative stages of life we should be more interactive.
    I also wanted to say that this topic like many others has both positive and negatives things to it, so it always depends on how you personally think of it, because non is right or wrong, and as you said we have the ability to choose and all of us have parents and people who we trust to guide us and not the media in order not to loose our individuality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good job Dani! This essay really caught my interest. It is not so long ago when I was obsessed with teenage magazines telling me how to make the first kiss right, what to wear to a party… exactly like you wrote above, I think I was very influenced by the media when I was a teenager. And at that time, magazines and chat-rooms were our greatest influence. What is the future of teenage culture, I don’t know. And it scares me, that they don’t have time to be kids anymore and enjoy the time when they have no worries but discovering the world. I really hope that media literacy classes will start soon at schools to save our children from being dragged into this cycle where facebook tells you what is “IN” and youtube what to watch and myspace or bandzone what to listen to. Maybe ten years from now, children won’t even know that tweeting was once meant just for the birds…

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definately agree on the fact that modern life has changed human being's daily routine and it has negative aspects however i dont think the only reason of deindividuation is magazines for teenagers.to copy is a human nature.But on the other hand modern life style gives people opportunities to find their own life stye,to chose the way they want live, become a vegeterian or not,to wear the same clothes other wear or not.So for sure you have some good arguments, however i still think that no metter how people try to imitate others they have something individual and sooner or later they always find it out.Deindividuation is more common in teenagers.

    ReplyDelete